HAVING A BLAST
HAVING A BLAST
On a boring weekend during the corona virus making the rounds and nowhere to go, how much can we play board games or watch TV? Let’s have some fun with chemistry by adding some chemicals available in the kitchen. Are you ready Cubs for a blaaaaaaaast!!
On a boring weekend during the coronavirus making the rounds and nowhere to go, how much can we play board games or watch TV? Let’s have some fun with chemistry by adding some chemicals available in the kitchen. Are you ready Cubs for a blaaaaaaaast?
- 2 Tissue Papers
- Baking Soda
- 1 Glass Hot Water
- Measuring Cup
- 1 Small Zip Lock Bag
- Start with putting 1/4th cup of hot water in the bag.
- Add ½ cup of vinegar to the water in the bag.
- Take the two-tissue paper, stack them on top of each other and put 3 teaspoon of baking soda in the middle. Fold the tissue paper and put it inside the bag, and quickly lock seal the bag. Tissue paper here will get you some extra time before vinegar gets mixed with baking soda to create a chemical reaction.
- Put the sealed bag in the kitchen sink or outside on the ground as this on exploding will create a mess.
- You will see the bag pop and hear a blast!!!
So, Cubs on performing the above experiment we observe that both baking soda and vinegar mixes creating an acid base reaction, eventually the two chemicals work together and creates a gas called Carbon Dioxide which needs space and eventually bursts plastic bag as it doesn’t get contained in it after some time thus resulting in a blast! Hope you had a blast while doing this activity.
Stay Happy and keep exploring!!